bulkhead n : a partition that divides a ship or plane into compartments
- a vertical partition dividing the hull into separate compartments; often made watertight to prevent excessive flooding if the ship's hull is breached.
- A similar partition in an aircraft or spacecraft.
- Mechanically, a partition or panel through which connectors pass, or a connector designed to pass through a partition.
- A pressure-resistant sealed barrier to any fluid in a large structure.
- A retaining wall along a waterfront.
partition on air- or spacecraft
panel through which connectors pass
Bulkhead may refer to the following:
- Bulkhead partition: a wall within the hull of a ship, vehicle, or container.
- Bulkhead flatcars: a type of rolling stock designed with sturdy end-walls.
French door, anchorage, anchorage ground, arch dam, archway, back door, backstop, bamboo curtain, bank, bar, barrage, barrier, barway, basin, bear-trap dam, beaver dam, berth, boom, brattice, breakwater, breastwork, brick wall, buffer, buffer state, bulwark, bumper, carriage entrance, cellar door, cellarway, cloison, cofferdam, collision mat, cushion, dam, defense, diaphragm, dike, dissepiment, ditch, dividing line, dividing wall, division, dock, dockage, dockyard, door, doorjamb, doorpost, doorway, dry dock, earthwork, embankment, fence, fender, front door, gate, gatepost, gateway, gravity dam, groin, harbor, harborage, hatch, hatchway, haven, hydraulic-fill dam, interseptum, iron curtain, jam, jetty, jutty, landing, landing place, landing stage, leaping weir, levee, lintel, logjam, marina, mat, midriff, midsection, milldam, moat, mole, moorings, mound, pad, panel, parapet, paries, partition, party wall, pier, porch, port, portal, portcullis, porte cochere, postern, property line, propylaeum, protected anchorage, pylon, quay, rampart, road, roadblock, roads, roadstead, rock-fill dam, scuttle, seaport, seawall, separation, septulum, septum, shipyard, shock pad, shutter dam, side door, slip, stile, stone wall, storm door, threshold, tollgate, trap, trap door, turnpike, turnstile, wall, weir, wharf, wicket dam, work